8 Things That Should Never Go in Your Garbage Disposal
Despite the name, garbage disposal units aren’t meant for every kind of garbage. While it’s useful for breaking down things like scraps of meat or apple peels, other things can cause clogs and damage the disposal unit’s blades. This can lead to expensive repair bills and permanent damage to your pipes. As a company with plenty of experience with plumbing of all sorts, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing can tell you what you shouldn’t put down your garbage disposal.
Here are 8 examples of things you should never throw down your garbage disposal.
- Bones and other solid trash. These sorts of things can’t get cut up by the blades and will just spin around with them. Even if they get by, they probably won’t get through the drain pipe.
- Celery and other fibrous foods. The fibrous strings in these foods tend to get caught around the blades.
- Coffee grounds and other sediment foods. While they look like they’ll go down easy, any sort of food that breaks up into sediment can clog up your drain and leave a sludgy mess.
- Egg shells. This one is up for debate. Some say egg shells are totally safe for your disposal, while others say the membrane lining can stick to the sides of the disposal and wrap around the shredder.
- Fruit pits. They’re already tough for you to cut. If you have trouble cutting them, imagine how hard it’ll be for your garbage disposal.
- Grease and oils. This stuff might not even make it into your disposal. It’s much more likely that it’ll clog up your pipes.
- Pasta and rice. These foods expand when exposed to water, even when fully cooked. Putting them down your disposal or drain can cause it to clog when it expands in the pipes.
- Potato peels and other starchy foods. Even if you think you can put them down the drain from time to time, starchy foods will wind up creating a soupy mess in your disposal.
Why should Benjamin Franklin Plumbing be my choice for my plumbing needs?
Since our founding in 2005, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing has been one of the most trusted names in the Omaha area. Our highly-trained technicians offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee for their work. We prize punctuality at our business so much, that we’ll pay YOU if we’re late. If your garbage disposal is acting up, give us a call today!